Game Dev Contest
Join in on the Game Development contest with over $300 in prizes!
Banner Creation Contest!
Help the community out by creating your own version of the banner, and potentially having that as the main banner!
Resources
Check out our resources :D
Upgrade your account
Help out the community, and keep the website running and fully up to date by donating! :D

Designing a new battle system

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL ABSTRACT SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

HotfireLegend

Balthier
RM Skill
Gamer
For my upcoming modern game, I'm hoping to avoid the default combat system entirely. Instead, I wish to create an evented battle system whereby the player fights on the map, using a grid. (I'll have to find a way to turn off pixel movement for these sections as well, but that's a story for another day)

I have quite a good idea for how this can be carried out (especially if I can utilize event collisions) but I'd need to know the script calls for obtaining a player's equipped weapon's attack stat and the like. I am also wondering how one would utilize enemy AI in this instance...

Micro

Dragon Goddess
RM Skill
Writer
Oh awesome, like Fire Emblem? I think a battle system like this would be really neat!

Macro

Pantologist
RM Skill
Designer
I had a crack at making FE battle system. It's possible, but is a lot of work if you want to do it from the ground up.

Last edited:

HotfireLegend

Balthier
RM Skill
Gamer
Hello and welcome to RMMV! Hope you have fun and find what you are looking for here. ^_^

I had a crack at making FE battle system. It's possible, but is a lot of work if you want to do it from the ground up.
I've been here since last year ^_^;

It is (will be initially) a lot of work, but totally doable in MV with native mouse control. This will be my sixth game too, so I know very well how it can be implemented :)

I have never played FE though... Will have a gander at a video and let you know if it will be similar lol

Macro

Pantologist
RM Skill
Designer
LOL sorry I got this thread mixed up with a welcome thread from earlier. *Blushes bright red and flies away*

jagvang

NPC
RM Skill
Pixel Artist
Fire Emblem battle tactics sounds really nice. I am not much of a programmer but know some of the ends in out about programming.

I was thinking about a Battle System similar to the Suikoden series. Is it possible to tweak around with the default Battle System to accomplish this?

HotfireLegend

Balthier
RM Skill
Gamer
OK, finally gave FE a look. Do you guys mean FE: Awakening? Suikoden is totally different though, but I have seen a game with it.

Bizarre Monkey

I SHALL BE GLORIOUS!
RM Skill
Designer
To obtain a stat via eventing...
It's right there in variable commands.

Bizarre Monkey

I SHALL BE GLORIOUS!
RM Skill
Designer
Of an EQUIPPED WEAPON?
Well, no, but there's a couple work arounds that'll take a bit of time, but will work.

Each time you make the calculation, check which weapon the player has equipped (this might take a while if you have lots of weapons) and control the number for each based on it's statistics.

polar_fawkes

Towns Guard
RM Skill
Gamer
Heya

There was a version of what you're looking for in VX i believe (shining force/ff tactics/fire emblem style turn based strategy correct?) let me see if i can find it...

here it is
reverse engineer that plugin for a huge head start. never seen it implemented wide scale successfully tho, havent been watching closely so doesnt mean much
[doublepost=1453186477,1453186394][/doublepost]to be clear though, what you're talking about will require a massive amount of custom javascripting unless someone else invents it as a plugin. (i bet someone will, i'm watching for the same thing myself)
[doublepost=1453186636][/doublepost]if you want to customize your game to that extent, rpg maker is probably not the way to go to be honest... its a specific product. it's for turn-based, battle cutscene rpgs. the more you fuck with the core, the shakier the product will be. there's other engines out there if you're looking to get more advanced with your games though! http://www.engine001.com/ for example is a killer engine. just have to do graphics yourself from this point forward

RM Skill
Writer
I will worship the ground you walk upon if you can make something like that, been looking for an mv alternitive for "GuibD's tactics system" for awhile now.

Bizarre Monkey

I SHALL BE GLORIOUS!
RM Skill
Designer
Whoever is bold and brave enough to make one of the largest battle plugins for MV, be honored by my respect, but be warned of the coming fame you'll face as that system gets popular.

HotfireLegend

Balthier
RM Skill
Gamer
@polar_fawkes: I do indeed have GGMaker (it was gifted to me) and I am heavily debating whether it may be better to use it. The drawback will be lack of resources. I am happy doing prototyping in RM though - I will at least give it a try.

Iron Croc

I eat my fries with fire.
Sounds very promising, man. :) I look forward to seeing how this ends up! (I sadly have no advice, coding is not my forte)

Starbird

Praised Adventurer
Resource Team
I played the LeTBS demo and it's incredible... thanks for posting that link!

UngraguGaming

Villager
RM Skill
Designer
That too, if you're looking for a ABS, but from the other posts, it appeared to me they were looking for a TBS.