What's your favorite RPG?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL ABSTRACT SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

As a bonus question, what's your favorite genre of RPG?

• ARPG

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • turn-based RPG

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • JRPG

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • Something else...?

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters

Demonboy75

Towns Guard
Hello there, all you wonderful MV people.
I decided to take a small break from working to check out some other areas of the forums, and since I found this one, the topic immediately came into my head:

"What's everyone's favorite RPG?"

Knowing this may help me to see what people enjoy in a game by playing these games myself (it's fun with a purpose (cute)), and I would appreciate if you tried to keep it to this formula when posting so I (and any others who want to use this as their own little list of games they should play) can find and play the game easily:

1. State the game, genre of RPG (ARPG, turn-based RPG, etc.) and what console it is for (if its for PC, I guess say Steam or non-Steam, and where to get it if non-Steam).
  2. State why it's good, and some qualities it has (ex. difficulty, combat system, etc.)
  3. (optional) Finally, if you so choose, include some qualities I (or any others) may NOT like about the game (ex. Bugs--I'M LOOKING AT YOU, BETHESDA)

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.strawberrymissionfield.org
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Edition 1 Hard Cover. Books, DM Screen, paper, pencil, multi-sided dice, imagination. Dungeon Master's Guide, Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, Deities and Demi-Gods, Fiend Folio, Monster Manual II, Oriental Adventure, Unearthed Arcana, etc. This does not include all of the preset adventures modules. They are the hard book rule books.

It is good, because it was basically the standard for all future RPGs. It's difficulty could be adjusted by the dungeon master, and also how smart or stupid the decisions of the players were. What I did not like was all future editions.

Macro

Pantologist
It's easy for me to judge my favorite series, because I rarely beat games. Definitely the Star Ocean series is my favorite based on that. Nice mix of ARPG and JRPG. I like space themes over pure medieval magic (Tales of) so Star Ocean wins for me. I love flashy battle systems that aren't convoluted (Tales of is guilty of that lately) but can still be tough even to enjoy (they have a lot of characters to pick from). I also like anime style art over realistic. Can't wait for SO5.

HotfireLegend

Balthier
I prefer WRPGS like The Witcher (2, not yet played 3) and Fallout: New Vegas. Both have actual choice/consequence via diverging storylines.

Micro

Dragon Goddess
let's see, right now I'll start with my current favorite RPG!

Fire Emblem Fates for the 3DS
I love strategy/tactical games all-around, but the lovable characters are what I love most about Fire Emblem. building relationships with my character and the members of my army and pairing units together in relationships is so darn fun. I also love that there is such a wide variety of classes (pegasus knight, wyvern knight, archer, mage, etc etc) it also has a variety of difficulty modes to choose from, so you can make it as hard or as easy as you wish.

something I DON'T like? well, I certainly wish it was a longer game! but at least there are 3 versions to play =)

now some all-time favorites...

Final Fantasy Tactics for PS1, PSP/Vita, ios
Ahhh, FFT...a game that I've been playing for years and bought almost as many times. simply a classic game with a great OST, characters, story and tactical battle system. it truly never gets old for me, and I usually play it at least once a year (maybe not the entire game, but I always play it). One of my favorite parts is leveling my characters up a lot very early in the game and catching a chocobo, and waiting to get that first Red Chocobo. <3

Can't say I dislike much about FFT .. well, I can think of something, but that's a spoiler. overall, a great RPG experience. :)

Chrono Trigger for SNES, NDS, PS1
another awesome classic! I have yet to play the NDS remake but I probably will someday. this one is so widely known that I don't think I need to comment on why it is awesome, but I will anyway .... MULTIPLE ENDINGS! awesome characters, interesting story! time travel! it was all new and exciting stuff back then that I had never seen in a game before. I also LOVED having a NewGame+ option. there were quite a few secrets in the game too! hours of fun.

Legend of Mana for the PS1, PSP/Vita
Best. Videogame. OST. EVER. Beautiful handdrawn character sprites and world and an interesting system that lets you place locations on the map and basically "create" your world (although it is not as grand as it sounds) some quests are only unlockable when you place certain places on certain tiles iirc. anyways, there are a few different story arcs and all of them are very good. lots of characters to meet, a few secrets and fun gameplay + allies. you can get 1 NPC ally and 1 monster ally. in the old days, you could play Co-Op with a friend locally -- either they could play the NPC ally or import their own character from their save into the game and play that way.

Unfortunately, the game was rushed out, so some storylines were left unfinished :( still an AWESOME game though, highly recommended!

EDIT: oh yeah, Tales of and Star Ocean series-es are both very awesome. great characters/storyline throughout every one, definitely recommend them.

Star Ocean can be played on the PS1, PS2, PS3 and Vita (not all on one system, mind you, but they range across those systems)

Tales of has some games as far back as SNES, ranging to GCN and even PC and a few on the PS2, PS3 and one on the Vita. =)

Demonboy75

Towns Guard
Well, I made this thread, I may as well contribute to it. Thank you all for your contributions, by the way, I look forward to playing whatever of these I can get my hands on. (blush)

Oblivion (which can be found on the PC, Xbox 360, and PS3) is definitely my favorite RPG, though that fact is an odd case considering my favorite genre of RPG is anything turn-based, and this game is, in fact, a ARPG.
I love the way Oblivion interweaves a large amount of minigames seamlessly into the game to the point where everything is interesting. Bartering with shopkeepers, combining potion ingredients with different apparatuses, and the additional skills of Acrobatics and Athletics that make just traversing the world exciting at times.
Although the one minigame that is absolutely terrible is Lockpicking. If you all intend to play this game, just use the ~ key and cheat the lock open to save yourself about a million hours of frustration. It sounds like a terrible thing to do, but this lockpicking system is one of the few criticisms I have of the game.
The quest lines provide ups and downs difficulty-wise for the player to triumph over flawlessly or be daunted by, and the random quests that don't incorporate into these quest lines are just as interesting and varied. This causes the world to feel much more like a world than a video game. However, do be prepared for difficulty spikes at some times. Ogres are jerks, and health potions you don't make yourself are expensive.
Finally, there are a few downfalls that Oblivion has (besides lockpicking), being that it was a game made in the early 2000s. First, prepare for a few glitches. Bethesda is INFAMOUS for 'em, but they are rarely present in this game, as far as I have played. Secondly, the graphics will look a bit dated by today's standards, but they are nowhere near terrible. I think it's unfair to call a game terrible on merits of graphics, though, so I am slightly biased on that front. Lastly, don't play this game on the highest difficulty your first time through unless you like games by From Software (look them up if you don't know what I'm talking about). The default difficulty setting is intended for people who are used to playing video games in the first place, so the higher difficulty settings are meant more for a second playthrough, at least in my opinion. Maybe I'm just terrible at the game, and it's actually super easy on the default setting. (tears)

Micro

Dragon Goddess
Oh yeah I love Oblivion, that game was great. I wish it didn't crash so much though... that's what led me to play Skyrim so much more haha. also MODS make both games so much more enjoyable! it's crazy awesome the kind of fun stuff people can create =D

Demonboy75

Towns Guard
Oh yeah I love Oblivion, that game was great. I wish it didn't crash so much though... that's what led me to play Skyrim so much more haha. also MODS make both games so much more enjoyable! it's crazy awesome the kind of fun stuff people can create =D
Skyrim was a big fav of mine for a while, and then I found Oblivion. I think Oblivion is the better game. Although, that is not to say that I still don't love Skyrim. I just enjoy Oblivion more. I can definitely see why you would prefer it over Oblivion, as there are plenty of characteristics in it that are miles ahead of Oblivion; graphics, greater amount of perks for skills, a buttload of dungeons and dragons (pun very much intended), and a much better lockpicking system, just to name a few.
However, something about Oblivion just appeals to me more. Maybe its because the Acrobatics skill lets me feel like a ninja, because I love feeling like a ninja. (jolly)
I appreciate that you took the time to write out such a long, detailed list of games, by the way. It looks like I'll have to save up quite a deal of cash to even begin this list of games people are suggesting.

Micro

Dragon Goddess
Skyrim was a big fav of mine for a while, and then I found Oblivion. I think Oblivion is the better game. Although, that is not to say that I still don't love Skyrim. I just enjoy Oblivion more. I can definitely see why you would prefer it over Oblivion, as there are plenty of characteristics in it that are miles ahead of Oblivion; graphics, greater amount of perks for skills, a buttload of dungeons and dragons (pun very much intended), and a much better lockpicking system, just to name a few.
However, something about Oblivion just appeals to me more. Maybe its because the Acrobatics skill lets me feel like a ninja, because I love feeling like a ninja. (jolly)
I appreciate that you took the time to write out such a long, detailed list of games, by the way. It looks like I'll have to save up quite a deal of cash to even begin this list of games people are suggesting.
Yea I agree, Oblivion was definitely a better game. I loved the Oblivion gates, they were just so fun to find and shut down. I also think that Oblivion was a prettier game, but of course I LOOOOOOVE the snowy parts of Skyrim. still, I think it was easier to become immersed in Oblivion's world--dat awesome atmosphere soundtrack. I also disliked that the main part of Skyrim was killing dragons. *points at title* ...I don't wanna kill dragons. We're friends! D:

I much prefer killing the daedra in Oblivion. they were so ugly and satisfying to smash. hahaha

I just didn't like how the game crashed so much lol. really my only complaint =( also the outdated character models, and for some reason I could never get mods to work correctly (though that's a fault with me more than the game I guess). Maaan, I feel like Bethesda just sucks at making character models sometimes xD at least they look pretty good in Fallout 4.

you're welcome! I'm super passionate about video games, and I could definitely list a bunch more if you wish lol, but yeah. didn't want to type out a mega wall of text and kill anyone! (snicker)

EDIT: also the CREEPY HORRIBLE vampire transformation in Oblivion scarred me for life! OMG, that was one of the scariest things I've seen in an RPG LOL. I felt so powerless because I couldn't get the cure before people were killing me and I was dying in broad daylight. actually had to cheat because my ugly character was so scary-looking and horrifying that I couldn't even look at her without cringing.

...I needed that cure. thank god for the console commands.

sodajerk

NPC
If you haven't delved into the Fire Emblem series, or any of the SRPG genre, I wholly recommend grabbing a copy of Fire Emblem. The first edition I played was for the GBA, and it changed the way I played video games. The singular concept of permadeath makes the entire experience that much more involved, and you wouldn't believe how harrowing grinding levels can become if one strategically incorrect move is made. Add on twelve different combinations of character development, and you begin to care about the troops you lead to victory, or demise. It can be punishing at higher difficulties, though, and only Awakening and Fates would have the graphics that you might enjoy, based off your earlier response.

Bioshock is a great mind-bending shooter game with RPG elements that most have heard of and love, while System Shock is what the franchise was based off of. Picture survival-horror mixed with action-shooter, throw in subliminal messaging and a long lost padre, and a few mutated civilians with a thirst for blood and the ability to shoot fire from their fingertips, and you have Bioshock in a nutshell. It is kind of lackluster in the weapon categories, but it still makes for an entertaining romp. I haven't played any of the newer editions, but I understand they just keep getting better.

Finally, if I could only recommend one game, try out The Void, an indie PC game available on Steam. Once again a survival-horror RPG, it is a game made by Icepick Lodge, a studio who, in addition to creating interesting mechanics with every new game, are capable of weaving incredible tales of sadness, isolation, fear, and regret. You will find yourself metaphorically searching for beauty in a realm devoid of life in order to create sustenance for your own soul to stay alive, in addition to feeding the souls of those you meet. This game has left me numb the first time I played it, and later had me philosophizing on the necessity of art and beauty in our life, and how that very same beauty seems to fade away just as we need it most, when we are on the brink of plunging into nekyia.

Demonboy75

Towns Guard
only Awakening and Fates would have the graphics that you might enjoy, based off your earlier response.
When I mention graphics, I mention that mainly based on other gamers I know and what they admire in a game (namely, they won't play a game with a pixel count under 1080p because they value graphics about as much as gameplay). I play games for gameplay. If there is one thing I have learned, just because a game is pixelated, cartoony, or maybe even downright weird-looking DEFINITELY doesn't make it bad. If anything, it adds more charm. (blush)
I may have to default to Awakening and Fates, despite my lack of care for graphics, because the only portable console I own is the 3DS XL. Darn it all.
Edit: I feel like I may have come off as being a jerk while typing that. Please don't take this as me trying to start an argument.

Micro

Dragon Goddess
rgwe the only portable console I own is the 3DS XL.
Fire Emblem Fates.

get it get it get it get it get it get it GET IT OMG DO IT MAN!!! if you have the money buuuyy ittttttttttt it's so awesome! and then you can come chat in my Fire Emblem Fates thread and we can talk for hundreds of hours about how awesome it is!

lol sorry, I just get excited when people might be joining into my interests. =) in all seriousness, you should check out some gameplay and read some reviews, see if it's a game you would like.

I have personally been a fan of FE for years, FE4 being one of my favorites. even the old-school sprites can be charming, but yeah I definitely prefer FE:Fates to the older ones, even though they are near and dear to my heart. there's nothing wrong with liking shiny graphics and cute character models, I totally agree.

In FE Fates you can even give your characters accessories and make them look snazzy (or silly) in battle. lol. I personally wear tinted glasses and a night-time cap everywhere I go 8D

Macro

Pantologist
Play it on Hard and Classic for a real challenge. Lunatic is for masochists only though.

Demonboy75

Towns Guard
Well, Fire Emblem: Fates is the first thing on the list, then. When I get the money I WILL buy that greatness which I am missing. Can't say how long it will be before I get the money though.

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.strawberrymissionfield.org
I love old fashion RPG's that check the players' intelligences. You are playing a 1st level fighter. In your party are also a 2nd level magic-user and a a 1st level cleric. Ahead you see a pair of hill giants, what do you do? ATTTACK! 15 seconds later...Game Over Screen. We had hard campaigns, where you better attempt to run away when first starting out.

sodajerk

NPC
@Demonboy75

Noooo, friend, I never thought that you were trying to start an argument. I think you gave an enlightened response, and I'm sorry for making for feel like I was critiquing your viewpoint. I think I miscommunicated what I meant by "you might enjoy", I just wanted to let you know it also was a game from the early 2000's, and on a portable system, no less, so the same downfalls could be found.

I'm so glad to hear you're a gameplay lover! That's what FE is all about! By the way, when purchasing Fates, look into the "Birthright" edition vs. the "Conquest" edition. I have Birthright, and it has a more complex story, while apparently Conquest has neat features for difficulty and maps.

Demonboy75

Towns Guard
I still have yet to purchase Fates, and I apologize.
Why?
Majora's Mask 3D, that's why.
I've never played it, so it was just too irresistible.
I will make sure to make Fates my next purchase when I can get the cash, and I'll talk about some of my experiences with it on this thread. Can't say when that will be, though. Hope all of you who recommended it can forgive me for not getting it yet and trying it out, because it looks really interesting from some trailers I watched.
[doublepost=1469040903,1461641203][/doublepost]I went back on my word (kind of).
I bought the original Fire Emblem for the GBA instead. Thank you, virtual shop.
I'm 9 chapters in and I'm loving this perma-death (or, excuse me, "injury") mechanic. It adds more weight to each and every little battle, and builds a stronger connection with the characters.
It's something I'll have to try to incorporate into a game some time.

Now that I've played a Fire Emblem game, I'm probably going to get Fates for my birthday, which is sometime soon.
Thanks to all of you for sharing your opinions, by the way. This has been a fun and informative thread.

hbn

Villager
Can't put down one single fave. Too many to choose from.

Minus the obvious FFs and Zeldas, I'd say Skyrim ranks well though the combat, in comparison to a lot of other action RPGs can seem a bit basic, though it does give you great playstyle versatility, the world is large, there is plenty to do, the soundtrack is good. That was the first Elder Scrolls game I played and certainly did make me get Oblivion and Morrowind though I've not invested much time in them.

Witcher 3 certainly is on there. Again graphics are great, soundtrack has beautiful pieces in it and the combat system is more versatile. Doesn't skimp around on bad things happening, but some of the quests can feel a bit tiring to do when it's constantly a choice of lesser evils. There are some quests where I just yearn for a good outcome with no drawbacks for once. That said I'm on my second play through with a new game+ and CDPR have shown very good support with the game. I've played Skyrim and Witcher 3 on PC and the ability for endless mods make the game even better.

Going back a bit further, Skies of Arcadia would be a favourite of mine as well, I've longed for a new play through of it. I have it on Sega Dreamcast but a re-release on either the Wii U virtual console of the GameCube version or a PC port or something would be nice.

I've played Grandia and Grandia 2. The first on the Playstation, the second on the Dreamcast and now on the PC thanks to GOG. I must say I enjoyed the first more. First has good soundtrack in places, the battle system felt fresh at the time. They are linear though with quite a few PoNRs. That's not necessarily gamebreakers for me but I do prefer having free-roam.

Alundra. Playstation. Action RPG similar in style to Zelda I guess. It has puzzle and platformer elements. Dark-ish story. Can't believe that hasn't been mentioned yet. You're a dreamwalker and have to save a village plagued by nightmares that have had a habit of killing people. It's a spiritual successor to the Landstalker series. The graphic style is 2D sprite based from a top-down perspective which adds to the game. It has a great soundtrack and good level design. It had a sequel, similar in gameplay but graphics and storyline had little relation.

Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age on GBA. Certainly the best RPG on the GameBoy Advance. The graphics now look a bit dated and due to the chip limitations the soundtrack might not have as good sound quality but the quality of the soundtrack is great. The storyline is strong, if follows somewhat the typical fantasy of "world consists of classical elements, earth, fire, wind, water, you have to visit four elemental locations to do something there and save the world from dying". The graphic presentation is gorgeous though and the Djinni system offers versatility to your characters. You interact with the world through magic and incorporates puzzle elements because of it. The sequel Dark Dawn on the DS was good but not as good as the first two I felt. Game felt a lot smaller, easier and had too many PoNRs. None much really exist in the first two.

Chrono Trigger has been mentioned above although when it first came out I was but a four year old and it never saw an EU release on the SNES. Only got it on the DS, as US import before the EU release and loved the game. Certainly one of the the best I've played.

Secret of Mana, probably another obvious one but had features not seen before in many games. The menu was a bit difficult to navigate at first but you learnt. It had a beautiful soundtrack. Because of port limitations, the speech didn't feel that great, but the gameplay was very strong at the time. Two AI controlled characters, though you can manually cast magic. It can have co-op first player though. The weapon skill charging mechanic doesn't feel worth going through though, probably just better to slash.

Okami is another beautiful game, developing in traditional Japanese art style. First played it on the PS2. Again a good soundtrack. Similar in Zelda to play style. You play a god in wolf-form tasked with defeating an evil demon and using a celestial brush to restore the world. It's based on Japanese mythology of Amaterasu and Susanoo vs Orochii.

Honourable mentions
Breath of Fire 3
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Radiant Historia
Bravely Default (although repeating the storyline four times is a bit tiring and jading)
Tales of the Abyss DS

Phantasmguy

Villager
I got one that not many people have heard of. It's called "Thousand Arms", came out for the PS1 around maybe 1999 or so, but is actually from a little known company you might have heard of: the Atlus Company.

You play as Meis Triumph, heir to the Triumph family, known both for their prowess as Spirit Blacksmiths and as AMAZING womanizers. This game in particular actually combines RPG and Dating Sim into one, where your progress with your dates(Party members included) actually can improve all of your equipment! I thought this was just an AMAZING concept back in the day.

Phil

Adventurer
I like games like to the moon and a bird story, no combat just plain story and gameplay :)
I also really liked harvest moon! and Stardew Valley.

RPG's like skyrim is also very good, not because of the fighting, but because of the world, story,
depths and details in the designs, animations and maps. I also really loved the sidequest, some
of the sidequest could've been their own game! Colledge of winterhold, wampires, dark brotherhood. They are all really, really good.

in the end, it is not the fighting and combat that matters to me.
It is about the world, characters and story.

Last edited: