1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Within our Resources section we have over 150 Audio files, with room to grow. You may find exactly what you have been looking for. Just CLICK HERE to start your listening adventure.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Why would you want to upload your resources directly to RMMV.co? It makes it easier for other members to download them. Click HERE for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Click HERE to see our four new featured resources by TheUnproPro, Starbird, iblamevictoria, and VGM MarkH.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Here are the The Resource Rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Please read these RULES before posting.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to Begin?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zephyrus, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Hello, fellow Game Makers!

I'm new in this whole world of RPG Maker. I started at VX Ace, but recently got MV. I found it more friendly to work and easier to learn and build, since we've got plugins manager to make our lives better.

So, I was wondering... I watched a bunch o' videos about plugins, YouTubers testing games made from these tools (to help me get more experience, ideas to implement and etc) and I'm currently stuck in the creation progress...

To cut the crap: I don't know what to do first!

Do I build the world first?
    Do I try to pixel art my characters first?

What should I do?

And yes, I have an idea of what to do... I just don't know when ow where do I have to begin...

I have a backstory idea, character idea.. But I'm still stuck.

Can you guys enlighten me, please? Share your experience, please.

2. Hi, just like you I'm new here and I haven't released a game yet but as you know I've been working on one for a bunch of months now so I guess I could offer my advice. Take it as it is!

First of all we have to know what you will or will not do for the game. Will you use certain ressources found in RPG Maker such as tiles, portraits, sounds, etc? You talk about pixel art; will you just draw portraits or will you fully animate your sprites? Have you decided which plugins you'll use? Have you tested the RPG Maker engine a little beforehand?

I also read and watched TONS of tutorials like you did. Very, very helpful. The more you know, the better your game will be, I can guarantee it. Personally speaking, I made some kind of "Test game" before working on my main game. It had just one animated character, two levels, two battles and a lot of events and plugins I wanted to experiment with, reproducing stuff I had seen in videos or on forum threads, etc.. I probably spent about 200+ hours learning how to do things during this testing phase before I actually began to work seriously on my actual game. It might sound excessive to some people, but after I was done, I knew exactly how I wanted my game to look like and what I had to do to make it the way I imagined.

I think level design ( I think you refer to it as "building the world" ) is a top priority. To the very least, it comes before character creation. If game creation was a painting, level design is your canvas. And you can't use your characters until you have a few levels for them to visit anyway. You can't really engage in battles unless you can actually walk on some land where you'll encounter your enemies either! And of course a story can't be written unless you have some kind of scenery to accompany it. Make your levels/maps, make as many as you can until you're dead tired of it, that's my motto!

Personally, I made a single "test" character with all the necessary animations. This character helps me at figuring out how it will look when the player plays the game, going from one level to another. If I somehow need to see how it would look like with NPCs, I just clone it. I rather stick with drawing levels at the moment. However, sometimes, I just get bored or even frustrated by doing the same thing, so I will compose and record songs, draw characters for future animations or even animate them if they happen to be ready for it.

I think the biggest foe in game making is battling routine and keeping your inspiration flowing, but that's more or less on topic.

3. Yeah man, thanks for the tips!

I really meant level design kkkkkk

So, for the record, I have already designed some maps and thought about some stories indeed. But I always think there's something wrong about everything. Maybe those horrible chibi sprites (I don't like it and don't think they fit, no matter how many maps I design).

So, this had me stuck, 'cause I really want to make my own sprite, but I don't know if I do it first, or map a little more, etc,(just like I posted it).

I kinda want to remake everything, so it can become my original work. I certainly will take some inspiration of the original tilesets and everything, so I can see how it works and everything.

Do you see what's going on here? So many things to think about, that I become stuck!

That's what I'm talking about.. I need heeelp! Hehe

4. Hi again,

Maybe if you gave us some screenshots of your stuff, I could tell you if there's something wrong. It's hard to say without screenshots since your problem seems to be a visual one!

5. This is my start house thought. Leading to the village, down the way. Currently using default resources and some other found on the web. I think my problem is where to start working: level design, or create a character that fits better the scenario, etc.

upload_2017-11-13_15-36-36.png

6. Hey,

I'll be honest, I don't really see what could be wrong here. (glad)

Maybe the reason why you can't put your finger on the issue is that there's no issues?

Of course, visually, it looks like your regular RPG Maker game, it has the same view angle and art style. I'm not sure if that's an issue for you or not. Depends on what your sprites will look like, maybe. I can tell you by experience, however, that making all original visual content requires a lot of time and patience. Whether you draw all the level yourself or not depends on how much time you intend to spend on your game. If you draw your own scenery, be prepared to spend a couple of years on this game of yours, if not even more.

7. Yeah.. Alone is hard and I don't know anyone who seems to have the same passion like me. Maybe if I pay a professional artist to do the art while I make other things...

I just want to do something different.. That people even don't think it was made with MV or RPG Maker engine... Because I see so many garbage games or games using default resources or whatever... That makes me think no one else enjoys playing games made by RPG Maker... Also, I see a lot of potential in other games using some default assets.. That makes me confused..
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 13, 2017, Original Post Date: Nov 13, 2017 ---
    This is the village, right bellow the first image. Still in progress. Also, I'll post some images of other project I am making. I try to "connect" scenarios, so it can be more realistic.

upload_2017-11-14_0-26-2.png

upload_2017-11-14_0-27-50.png

upload_2017-11-14_0-28-10.png

upload_2017-11-14_0-28-39.png

Attached Files:

8. Well, if you don't want it to look like a regular RPG Maker game, get ready to work... Visually, you'll have to re-do everything so your game can have its own visual style.

A tip I could give you is to search for the best RPG Maker games and see how they look and what their features are... Figure out what makes them better than the others and try to build on that while trying to offer something different in your game.

9. Yeah, I've been doing this for a little while. I follow some YouTubers that plays games sent to them, especially for IGMC or some other contests. That's what I'm looking foward for.